Orlando, Fla. (Jan. 27)—Lexus and the United States Golf Association (USGA) announced today a multi-year renewal of their strategic partnership, ensuring that Lexus will remain the exclusive automotive partner of the USGA and the official car of the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Amateur.
“We are proud to extend our partnership with such a prestigious organization as the USGA. It represents our commitment to this long-standing relationship and to the game of golf,” said David Nordstrom, vice president of marketing, Lexus. “Golf is something that our customers are passionate about, and the USGA shares our philosophy of supporting our customers’ passions.”
“As our original automotive partner, it is important to the USGA that Lexus has chosen to continue our successful relationship,” said Barry Hyde, chief marketing officer of the USGA. ”In addition to providing many vehicles, Lexus has made our national championships more entertaining and educational for golf fans by providing on-site interactive destinations at the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open and the U.S. Senior Open.”
The Lexus-USGA partnership was formed in 2006, and each year Lexus delivers consumer experiences onsite at the three largest USGA championships: the U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, and U.S. Senior Open. As part of the partnership renewal, Lexus will continue to provide attendees at these USGA championships with access to daily autograph signings, visits with golf legends, photo opportunities and more. Highlights from the automaker’s activities over the past four years include:
• Courtesy vehicles for more than 830 players and officials at the 2010 U.S. Open, U.S. Women’s Open, U.S. Senior Open and U.S. Amateur.
• 3,127 total Lexus vehicles provided to players and officials at 16 USGA championships.
• The Lexus Performance Drive Pavilion – featuring Lexus vehicles, autograph signings, fan photographs with USGA championship trophies, and a display of golf artifacts such as the famous wedge used by Tom Watson during the 1982 U.S. Open at Pebble Beach.
• For the past 2 years, Lexus has conducted the Golf Like A Pro Sweepstakes for USGA Members. This sweepstakes provides Members with the opportunity to play the U.S. Open, Women's Open or Senior Open course on the Monday following the championship with a Lexus-sponsored professional golfer. Golfers have included pros such as Annika Sorenstam, Johnny Miller, Natalie Gulbis and Peter Jacobsen.
Lexus and the USGA have not only partnered to enhance activities onsite at USGA championships, but are also committed to introducing youth to the game. For the past three years, Lexus and the USGA have selected Hook A Kid On Golf as the charitable recipient of generous financial support, providing the next generation of would-be golfers greater access to the game.
The schedule for the 2011 U.S. Open championships and the U.S. Amateur is as follows:
• U.S. Open, June 16-19, at Congressional Country Club in Bethesda, Md.
• U.S. Women’s Open, July 7-10, at The Broadmoor Country Club in Colorado Springs, Colo.
• U.S. Senior Open, July 28-31, at The Inverness Club in Toledo, Ohio
• U.S. Amateur, Aug. 22-28, at Erin Hills in Milwaukee, Wis.